Amber Heard Is “Pleased” But Not Surprised After UK Court Rejects Johnny Depp’s Appeal

The actress broke her silence on the court’s recent decision

Amber Heard and Johnny Depp’s legal battle keeps taking new turns. The latest turn of events happened when Johnny Depp lost the bid to overturn the 2020 High Court ruling that he assaulted Heard while they were married.

After losing the libel case in November 2020, Depp sought to overturn the unfavourable ruling by appealing to the UK Court of Appeal. “The surreal judgment of the court in the U.K. will not change my fight to tell the truth, and I confirm that I plan to appeal,” he wrote in a post on social media.

In a court hearing last week, Depp’s lawyers argued that he hadn’t received a fair hearing and that Heard was an unreliable witness. The fact that she hadn’t kept her promise to donate her $7 million divorce settlement to charity was one reason why they claimed she was unreliable.

However, the UK court three days ago denied Depp’s permission to appeal the ruling, on the grounds that his attempt to overturn the decision had “no real prospect of success.” The justices, James Dingemans and Nicholas Underhill, added “that there is no other compelling reason for it [the appeal] to be heard.”

“It is clear from a reading of the judgment as a whole that the judge based his conclusions on each of the incidents on his extremely detailed review of the evidence specific to each incident,” they said.

Amber Heard breaks silence after Johnny Depp denied appeal

Following the court’s decision, Heard’s spokesperson spoke to Yahoo Entertianment,, “We are pleased — but by no means surprised — by the Court’s denial of Mr. Depp’s application for appeal,” they said in the statement.

“The evidence presented in the UK case was overwhelming and undeniable. To reiterate, the original verdict was that Mr. Depp committed domestic violence against Amber on no fewer than 12 occasions and she was left in fear of her life. The verdict and lengthy, well-reasoned Judgment, including the Confidential Judgment, have been affirmed. Mr. Depp’s claim of new and important evidence was nothing more than a press strategy, and has been soundly rejected by the Court.”

The Aquaman actress shared the same statement on her social media as well. “Thank you,” she wrote in the caption.

Jeffrey Smele of Simons Muirhead and Burton, the law firm which represented The Sun´s publisher News Group Newspapers, said Thursday’s ruling was “a victory for the freedom of the press and for victims of domestic violence everywhere.”

To be sure, this isn’t the end of Amber Heard and Johnny Depp’s court battles. The Fantastic Beasts actor is also suing Heard for $50 million over a Washington Post op-ed essay she wrote about domestic violence. The lawsuit has been postponed until April 2022.

Cover Image Source: Image 1, Image 2

Stay Updated
For all the latest celeb news, shows, movies and style trends.