Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have announced that they would be no longer be using their coveted His/Her Royal Highness titles. The couple would not be returning to their royal roles as they confirmed in a statement at Buckingham Palace on Friday.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle left their full-time royal work back in March last year.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle say that it is not possible to continue with the royal responsibilities
“The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have confirmed to Her Majesty The Queen that they will not be returning as working members of The Royal Family,” the Buckingham Palace statement said. “Following conversations with The Duke, The Queen has written confirming that in stepping away from the work of The Royal Family it is not possible to continue with the responsibilities and duties that come with a life of public service.”
Prince Harry will also be leaving his military appointments, and it will be distributed among the working members of the Royal family. Everyone was quite saddened by the news of the Duke and Duchess leaving.
“The honorary military appointments and Royal patronages held by The Duke and Duchess will therefore be returned to Her Majesty, before being redistributed among working members of The Royal Family.”
“While all are saddened by their decision, The Duke and Duchess remain much loved members of the family.”
Other trust and patronages that would be reverting to Her Majesty are the Queen’s Commonwealth Trust, the Rugby Football Union, the Rugby Football League, the Royal National Theatre, and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s spokesperson said on their behalf, “As evidenced by their work over the past year, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex remain committed to their duty and service to the U.K. and around the world and have offered their continued support to the organizations they have represented regardless of official role.”
“We can all live a life of service. Service is universal,” the statement read.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle retain their charities
The decision came after a 12 month prohibition period from the couple. Even after leaving his title Prince Harry still have his Invictus Games Foundation, the Paralympic-style contests for service members, the Endeavour Fund, his personal charity Sentebale, and WellChild.
A source from PEOPLE had also previously said about Meghan, “It was clear to her from the start that a hybrid role is not an option.” She will also retain her retain animal welfare charity Mayhew, and Smart Works Charity. The news broke shortly after Prince Harry and Meghan Markle announced that they were expecting their second child.