Everyone knew it was going to happen- Cannes Film Festival 2020 has been postponed and it being the world’s most prestigious film festival that has (almost) never postponed or canceled its schedule, no matter what the difficulties were, just proves how grave the widespread coronavirus pandemic is.
But this is not the first time that the Cannes Film Festival has been canned
The year was 1968 and France was embroiled in violent riots and nationwide strikes. Yet, that year’s Cannes Film Festival began and continued without hesitation. It was on 18th May, 1969, when the Cannes Film Festival was about to enter its second week, French New Wave stalwarts Jean-Luc Godard and François Truffaut protested against continuing the fest even as the country laid burning.
It took a rather public onstage scuffle during the screening of Carlos Saura’s psychological thriller Peppermint Frappé, where Charlie Chaplin reportedly lost a tooth after being punched, to bring the Cannes Film Festival to an end!
But currently, France has more than 9,000 confirmed infections
Keeping the health crisis in mind, the organizers announced that the 2020 edition of the Cannes Film Festival will not take place from 19-23 May while hoping that the fest can be held at a later date.
And while we are equally heartbroken over not getting celebs rolling out their impeccable fashion on the red carpet this year…
…we still have the option to relive some of the best looks from the Cannes Film Festival over the years!
- Italian film actress, Sophia Loren graced 1955’s Cannes Film festival in a sweetheart neckline gown paired with elegant jewelry and opera-length gloves.
- One of her most famous looks, Princess Diana landed at the 1987’s Cannes, in an elegant, flowing chiffon blue gown designed by her favorite designer Catherine Walker.
- 1991’s Cannes witnessed its first shocking style moment when Madonna arrived draped in a pink robe which she dropped to reveal a Jean-Paul Gaultier cone bra and hot pants.
- The 2004 premiere of De-Lovely saw Charlize Theron in a mint green satin gown from the French fashion label, Dior.
- Accompanying her then-husband Brad Pitt, Jennifer Aniston dazzled 2004 in an embellished Atelier Versace gown halter dress.
- Cate Blanchett managed to hit all style notes right in her Alexander McQueen gown at the red carpet for the 2010 premiere of her film Robin Hood.
- Angelina Jolie turned quite a million heads when she turned up at 2007’s Cannes Film Festival in her canary yellow Emanuel Ungaro dress.
- 2012 saw Nicole Kidman stealing the spotlight in the 1930s-inspired evening dress from Ralph Lauren Collection.
- Looked flawless like always, Blake Lively looked like a dream in a burgundy Gucci Premiere gown with a dramatic thigh-high slit for Cannes Film Festival 2014.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan displayed impeccable panache in a dramatic purple gown by Dubai based designer Michael Cinco in 2018.