Add them to your oatmeal or granola-yogurt, make a smoothie, use them is desserts or just consume when ripe, bananas are delicious. They are loaded with nutrients and can keep you feeling full for a very long time. Although banana is a fruit, its nutritional value is such that it belongs to the starch category. It is, therefore, in the same category as potatoes, cereals, flours, or peanuts.
Here are 9 health benefits of this humble fruit:
- Help against smoking addiction: The Vitamin B6 and B12 as well as magnesium and potassium present in bananas are known to reduce the addiction and nicotine dependence.
- Regulation of the digestive system: Banana has anti-inflammatory properties. In fact, eating just one banana in case of colic or gastric lift will relieve you quickly thanks to the antacids it contains. In addition, banana regulates bowel movement, relieves diarrhoea and controls constipation because it contains soluble fibre that helps control stool consistency.
- Boost energy: Banana is a caloric fruit that provides a significant amount of energy. According to some studies, the fruit provides better energy when it is not ripe. Green bananas, loaded with starch, help induce slower digestion and provide energy for a longer amount of time.
- Better functioning of cardiovascular system: This fruit is particularly rich in potassium and, in fact, has a beneficial effect on cardiovascular health. The modern diet, loaded with more sodium than potassium, favours cardiac or vascular disorders. Sufficient potassium intake balances the sodium levels helps to reduce the risk of hypertension or kidney stones.
- Promote immune defenses: A good source of vitamins C and B6, bananas enhance the proper functioning of the immune system. Its consumption stimulates the production of antibodies and helps to prevent infections. The vitamin richness makes banana a perfect food for children or pregnant women.
- Reduces stress: Rich in tryptophan, a protein that is converted to serotonin (natural relaxant) by the body, these help in achieving a better emotional balance. The happy hormones leave less room for depression and stress.
- Helps prevent anaemia: Bananas are one of the most iron-rich fruits. This helps boost the production of haemoglobin in the blood and thus keeps anaemia at bay. Pregnant women are often recommended to add bananas to their diet.
- Prevents skin-ageing: Very rich in phytosterols, polyphenols and Omegas 3-6, which give it unique anti-oxidant properties. This helps the skin to fight the multiple signs of skin ageing, stimulating the production of collagen and elastin, while acting on the skin imperfections of mature skin.
- Reduces menstrual pain: Thanks to the presence of a natural antacid, banana relieves intestinal burns. Eating banana can soothe menstrual pain too.
Although bananas help us recharge during the day, it is best to avoid eating at night because we do not burn calories, which can lead to weight gain.