Ariana Grande is an American singer, songwriter and actress who is known for hit numbers like The Way, Bang Bang, 7 Rings, Thank U, Next. and more.
Quick Facts about Ariana Grande
Full Name: Ariana Grande-Butera
Birthday: June 26, 1993 (27 years old)
Place of Birth: Boca Raton, Florida, USA
Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Height: 5′ 0½” (154 cm)
Popular as: Singer
Who is Ariana Grande?
Ariana Grande is a sitcom-star-turned-songstress, who began her career in 2008 with Broadway musicals. From thereon, she went on to play small roles in TV before landing the role of Cat Valentine in Nickelodeon’s Victorious and its spin-off.
Her music career began with Victorious in 2011, and two years later, she released her debut album. Ariana Grande has released six studio albums so far, with chart-topping singles. She is one of the top pop artists in the scene at the moment and is often compared to music icon Mariah Carey because of her impressive vocal range.
Early Life & Childhood
Ariana Grande-Butera was born in Boca Raton, Florida, to Joan Grande, a businesswoman, and Edward Butera, a graphic designer. And so she refers to herself as an Italian American of “half Sicilian and half Abruzzese” origin.
Ariana has an older half-brother, Frankie Grande, from her mother’s previous marriage. Her parents Joan and Edward split when she was around nine or ten years old.
As a child, Ariana was quite involved in the local theater scene and began performing on stage from a very young age. In 2008, at the age of 15, she starred as Charlotte in the Broadway musical 13. The production won numerous accolades, with Grande winning a National Youth Theatre Association Award.
Two years later, she appeared in the musical Cuba Libre and in a TV show called The Battery’s Down. These small roles paved way for a life-changing role in Victorious.
Ariana Grande’s big break came when she was cast as Cat Valentine, a budding actress/singer, in the teen series Victorious. The show ended after four seasons, but Grande reprised the role in the spin-off series Sam & Cat until 2014.
Grande’s career in music began in 2011 well during her acting career, with the soundtrack Music from Victorious. She then went on to sign a recording contract with Republic Records. The same year, she released her first single, Put Your Hearts Up.
Ariana Grande Albums
- Yours Truly (2013)
In 2013, Ariana Grande released her first studio album, Yours Truly, which topped US Billboard 200. It included some hit songs like Baby I, Right There and The Way.
- My Everything (2014)
Ari’s second album featured many collabs and further established her as a rising pop star. It included the single Problem, which featured Iggy Azalea and reached No. 3 on Billboard’s Hot 100. Other songs that stood out were One Last Time, Break Free (with Zedd) and Love Me Harder (with The Weeknd).
This is also the album that featured the super hit single Bang Bang, for which Ariana Grande joined hands with Jessie J and Nicki Minaj.
- Dangerous Woman (2016)
In February 2016, Ariana’s third album, Dangerous Woman, came out. Its title track debuted in the Top 10 on the Hot 100, making her the first artist to have the lead singles from her first three albums to do so.
Dangerous Woman debuted at number two on the Billboard 200, and its songs like Into You, Side To Side (ft. Nicki Minaj), Let Me Love You (ft. Lil Wayne) became instant hits.
Manchester concert bombing during Dangerous Woman Tour
On May 22, 2017, a suicide bomber detonated a bomb as people were leaving the Manchester Arena after Ariana Grande’s concert. The tragedy led to the death of 22 people and more than 800 people were wounded, including young adults and children.
13 days later, Ariana Grande returned to Manchester and held the ‘One Love Manchester’ benefit concert for the victims and affected families. She was joined by stars like Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry, Chris Martin, and Pharrell Williams.
Grande had suspended her tour post the attack and only resumed from June 7, 2017.
- Sweetener (2018)
After the bombing at Manchester, Ariana Grande released the single No Tears Left to Cry in April 2018. She wanted the song to be hopeful and to refer to the incident but not dwell upon it.
Grande bagged her first Grammy Award, for Best Pop Vocal Album, for Sweetener in February 2019.
- Thank U, Next (2019)
Ariana’s fifth studio album was released within six months of her last one. This was a tumultuous period for Grande, with the death of her ex-boyfriend Mac Miller and her break up with Pete Davidson.
Its title track and singles like 7 Rings and Break Up with Your Girlfriend, I’m Bored, all became chart-toppers.
- Positions (2020)
Grande’s sixth studio album, Positions, was released on October 30, 2020 and debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200. Its lead single, with its empowering music video, became a massive hit and broke several records.
Awards & Achievements
Ariana Grande has won several accolades, including one Grammy Award, one Brit Award, two Billboard Music Awards, three American Music Awards, nine MTV Video Music Awards and six iHeartRadio Music Awards.
Some of her most notable awards are as follows:
- Brit Award for International Female Solo Artist (2019)
- Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Album (2019)
- MTV Video Music Award for Artist of the Year (2019)
- Billboard Woman of the Year (2018)
- American Music Award for Artist of the Year (2016)
- American Music Award for Favourite Pop / Rock Female (2015)
- People’s Choice Award for Favorite Breakout Artist (2014)
- American Music Awards for New Artist of the Year (2013)
In 2017, Billboard magazine named Ariana Grande “Female Artist of the Year”. Then, in 2019, she was honoured as the greatest pop star of 2019 and the most accomplished female artist to debut in the 2010’s.
New Musical Express (NME), on the other hand, named Grande one of the defining music artists of the decade.
Personal Life & Family
Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez
Ariana Grande and Dalton Gomez announced their engagement on social media on December 20, 2020.
Ariana and Dalton reportedly started dating in February, this year. The couple even appeared together in the Stuck with U video, further confirming romance rumours. It was in June, on her 27th birthday, that the singer finally made her relationship Instagram official.
Dalton Gomez is a real estate agent. The couple reportedly met through mutual friends and dated for several months before Dalton popped the question.
Ariana Grande and Mac Miller
After collaborating on The Way in 2012, Ariana Grande and Mac Miller started dating in 2016 and were together for almost two years before calling it quits in May 2018. As per reports, the couple had been struggling with their relationship since the past year.
“Ariana was holding Mac together for a long time and it wasn’t a good relationship for her,” a source told Us Weekly at the time.
Even after their split, Ariana and Mac continued to remain close friends. Grande posted a picture with him, on her IG stories as she confirmed the break-up. “I respect and adore him endlessly and am grateful to have him in my life in any form, at all times regardless of how our relationship changes or what the universe holds for each of us!” she wrote in the caption.
“Unconditional love is not selfish. It is wanting the best for that person even if at the moment, it’s not you. I can’t wait to know and support you forever and I’m so proud of you!”
Soon after their split, Ariana Grande started seeing comedian Pete Davidson.
Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson
Both Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson had just come out of long-term relationships when they started dating. While Grande had been with Mac Miller, Davidson had been in a serious relationship with Cazzie David.
But weeks after their respective splits, rumours that Grande and Davidson were casually dating started to spread. By June 2018, the couple had gotten engaged.
In September that year, Ariana’s ex-boyfriend, Mac Miller, died due to accidental overdose. The songstress was naturally shattered by the incident and this probably caused a crack in her relationship with Davidson. Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson split in October, ending their whirlwind romance.
Before Mac Miller and Pete Davidson, Ariana Grande dated Big Sean for a few months in 2014.
Grande alluded to some of her exes like Big Sean, Ricky Alvarez, Pete Davidson and Mac Miller (born Malcolm McCormick) on Thank U, Next.
Ariana Grande’s Net worth
- Ariana Grande’s net worth is a whopping $150 million. She is one of the highest-paid and most popular celebrities in the world.
- Grande is the most followed female and the second most followed individual on Instagram, with over 213 million followers as of this moment.
- The Positions singer easily makes around $20-30 million a year. She earned a massive $70 million between June 2019 and June 2020. In 2020, Grande was named the highest-earning woman in music on Forbes‘ 2020 Celebrity 100 list.
- Grande’s albums sell like hotcakes and she also goes on world tours, which bring in a lot of profit.
- According to Billboard, her Dangerous Woman tour grossed $71 million and was one of the highest grossing tours in the world in 2017. For her Sweetener World Tour, she reportedly grossed $1 million for every stop of her 34-stop tour.
- Grande became the youngest artist ever to headline the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival in April 2019, reportedly earning $8 million for both the days she performed.
- Ariana Grande also became the most streamed female artist of the decade on Spotify.
Ariana Grande Facts
- She is best friends with her Victorious co-star Elizabeth Gillies. The duo have known each other since they starred together in the Broadway musical 13 in 2008.
- Grande is a natural brunette and had to die her hair red every other week for her role in Victorious. The constant dying damaged her hair, so she wears a ponytail extension now.
- Grande played Cat Valentine on the show and ironically, she’s allergic to cats.
- She is not proud of her debut single Put Your Hearts Up or its music video. “It was geared toward kids and felt so inauthentic and fake,” she told Rolling Stone in 2014. “The whole thing was straight out of hell. I still have nightmares about it and I made them hide it on my Vevo page.”
- Ariana’s name is inspired from Felix the Cat’s Princess Oriana.
- Her surname is actually supposed to be pronounced as “Grand-ee”, as her grandfather said. But her brother preferred they pronounce it as “Gran-day”.
Ariana Grande’s Photos
Image Source: Instagram
Read latest news about Ariana Grande on LEFToye
Disclaimer: Our editors strive to provide accurate information. Please contact us if some information is not correct.